The Markinch Golf Club was formed in 1905, with Col Edward Balfour of Balbirnie as its first captain. The course was situated to the north of the town, bounded on the west by the B911 Markinch to Kennoway road, and on the east by the main Edinburgh to Dundee railway line. It was of 9 holes with a par of 68.
Col Balfour presented to the club- The Balbirnie Scatch Trophy, a Feathered Ball enclosed in a silver cupola- the ball being made by Thomas Alexander of Musselburgh around 1835, and the trophy is at present valued at £2000. He also presented The Handicap Trophy – a solid silver tray. The Ballingall Cup was presented for the competition by the ladies of the club by Neill Ballingall the Factor for the estate at the time. The Webster Medal, Simpson Medal and the Reid Cup were presented by well-known worthies of that time, all of whom captained the club in its formative years. The club subscriptions when formed was 7/6d for gents and 5/- for ladies. Markinch was a member of the Fife and Kinross 9 hole league, whose championship it hosted in 1927, and remained at its original location until 1947.
The course having been occupied by searchlights and ack-ack batteries during the war 1939-1945 was badly damaged by these heavy vehicles. Although the Club was reformed under the captaincy of Charles Bowden, insufficient monies were available to repair this damage, and the Club folded up in 1947. The trophies were placed in the vaults of the local bank and remained there until 1976 when a public meeting was called, and the Club resuscitated.
Club outings took place three or four times a year to various golf clubs throughout Fife, until Glenrothes Development Corporation bought Balbirnie Estate and started the construction of an 18hole golf course.
Discussions with GDC resulted in the Markinch Golf Club agreeing to lease the course for 99 years. This was granted on the understanding that the Club build a clubhouse in keeping with the golfing amenities.
This was agreed and the course (the first 9 holes) was opened for play in April 1983. The second 9 holes were completed the following year and the club was renamed Balbirnie Park Golf Club.
In 1995, the clubhouse was extended to include a superb new dining lounge, Gents changing/shower facilities and Ladies/Gents lockers.
April 1996 Balbirnie Park Golf Club appointed its first Golf Professional and two years later built a new Pro shop, which is regarded as the best in Fife.
Since the turn of the century the course has enjoyed many tournaments at Balbirnie Park Golf Club such as Scottish PGA Assistants championship, World One Armed Championship and the British Blind Championships.